Award-winning illustrator SONIA SÁNCHEZ paints with both traditional and digital brushes and applies a lot of texture in her work. Her favorite illustrators are Quentin Blake and Fiep Westendorp. Sonia picture book debut, HERE I AM written by Patti Kim (Picture Window Books), received starred reviews from Kirkus, Publisher’s Weekly and a stellar review from the The New York Times. Sonia is currently working on her second picture book, SISTER DAY!, written by Lisa Mantchev (Paula Wiseman Books). She lives with her husband and a sleepyhead cat in a blue house near the Mediterranean Sea.
Sonia is represented by Teresa Kietlinski. Please contact Teresa at tk(a)prospectagency.com for more information.
• HERE I AM has been nominated for a 2014 Eisner Award in the category of Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art). See the full list of nominated titles here.
• HERE I AM (*) receives a starred Kirkus review. “Sánchez has captured a kaleidoscope of emotion and powerful sensations in a way children will grasp completely. It’s The Arrival for younger readers.”–Kirkus Starred Review
• HERE I AM (*) receives a starred Publisher’s Weekly review.
• HERE I AM receives a sparkling review on Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast blog.
• HERE I AM is a Junior Library Guild Selection.
• HERE I AM receives a stellar review in the New York Times Book Review. “Kim and Sánchez bring to their lively pages the heightened perceptions of the recently arrived. From the startling whoosh of pigeons’ wings to the click of coins deposited in a parking meter to the reflective shine of the polished airport floor, everything in this new world is worth noticing. ” –NYT